16th Nov 2021
Join us – Laboratory Courses Manager
We have a new opportunity for an experienced Laboratory Courses Manager to join our team.
Grade 1: Salary in the region of £46,000 to £55,000
Full Time/Flexible working considered.
About the Role
We have an exciting new opportunity for an experienced Laboratory Courses Manager to develop and deliver our training courses.
As our Laboratory Courses Manager you will lead the laboratory-based portfolio of training courses, which offers an exciting opportunity to train scientists and healthcare professionals in genomics and cutting edge science, and to support capacity building initiatives in global regions.
You will be responsible for:
- Strategic planning, developing and managing practical laboratory-based training courses in genomics based in the Connecting Science lab on the Wellcome Genome Campus or virtually.
- Manage the laboratory team to ensure that courses are delivered in a professional and efficient manger, ensuring all health and safety requirements are met.
- Contribute to training development and capacity building activities on the Global Training programme based in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
In addition, you will manage two laboratory staff and be responsible for cross-team programme coordination of laboratory-based training.
Visit our website for more information about our courses and conferences offer.
- Educated to PhD level in biomedicine, preferably in genomics and/or infectious disease and or significant equivalent experience
- Extensive experience in laboratory work and management
- Strong communicator with internal and external stakeholders and colleagues at all levels to generate and sustain commitment in collaborations
- Highly organised and able to motivate, manage, and coordinate others (who may be more senior) where necessary
- Resilient, maintaining a professional approach when faced with a complex environment
For full details of the role profile and how to apply please visit the Sanger Institute recruitment page.
Please include a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role, addressing the criteria set out above and in the role profile.
Closing date: 6th December 2021
Wellcome Connecting Science’s mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society.
Drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Wellcome Genome Campus, Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation, supports learning, and measures and understands global attitudes and perspectives.
We connect researchers, health professionals and the wider public, creating opportunities and spaces to explore genomic science and its relationship with people and the world around us.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Both Connecting Science and the Sanger Institute are part of Genome Research Limited.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.