17th Mar 2022
Join us – Marketing and Communications Manager
Salary per annum: in the region of £47,000 to £52,000
Closing date for applications: Sunday 10 April
We have a new opportunity for a Marketing and Communications Manager to join the Wellcome Connecting Science team. This role is part time, working hours will be 22.5 per week, with flexibility over working days.
About the role:
You will lead marketing activities for our Science Engagement and Enrichment workstream, developing and delivering campaigns and materials aimed at school students and young people, teachers, community groups, and the wider public, who are interested in learning more about genomics and how this science impacts our lives.
You will use your experience as a marketing professional to both develop an effective strategy to reach our target audiences, and deliver key activities and outputs such as: engaging and relevant content for email newsletters, websites, and social media channels; graphic assets to support campaigns that utilise our brand guidelines; post-campaign return on investment analysis; and budget management for paid-for activities.
You will be part of a small but effective marketing team, and will also work closely with other colleagues in Wellcome Connecting Science (and particularly in the Engagement and Society group) to fully understand our schools and public offer, and our ambitions in this area. In addition to leading marketing and communications for Science Engagement and Enrichment, you will also work closely with the marketing lead for the programme, sharing responsibility for large-scale, one off projects.
You will be an excellent communicator with strong content development and creative copy writing skills; you will enjoy working in a diverse team with a range of stakeholders, including, researchers, schools and community groups, and other partner organisations. You will be able to manage multiple projects, come up with creative solutions, and support the delivery of excellent marketing and communication outputs across the entire Science Engagement and Enrichment area. Recently many of our activities have switched to virtual formats, and we are particularly interested in candidates with skills and experience in digital marketing and/or and new platforms, to expand our reach to new audiences.
About the team:
Supporting Wellcome Connecting Science’s mission, we connect researchers, health professionals and the wider public, creating opportunities and spaces for learning, training and engagement with genomics.
We currently have a small marketing team that supports all of our learning and engagement activities.
This broad-ranging role is based in the Connecting Science Programme Office, and you will work closely and collaboratively with the Marketing and Communications Manager for Learning, Training and Research, the Marketing and Communications Manager for Programme and Conference Centre, and the Associate Director for Programme and Strategy.
- Professional marketing qualification or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of digital marketing platforms, such as email marketing applications and social media channels.
- Experience of WordPress website content management systems
- Experience of managing social media channels, including content creation and planning
- Working knowledge of graphic design packages eg Adobe Creative Cloud suite
- Experience of working in an educational, scientific or not-for-profit environment, ideally with schools and public audiences
- Experience of developing and delivering marketing strategies, agreeing goals and measures
- Ability to maintain a good awareness of latest marketing trends and approaches and assess their relevance for Connecting Science
- Effective team worker with good project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to produce creative copy
- Influencing skills when needed to communicate the benefits of new approaches
- Ability to work independently, setting personal goals and targets
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
- Degree in a life sciences subject or enthusiasm for science and research
Please include a CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role with your application.
About Connecting Science
Wellcome Connecting Science’s mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society.
Drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Wellcome Genome Campus, Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation, supports learning, and measures and understands global attitudes and perspectives.
We connect researchers, health professionals and the wider public, creating opportunities and spaces to explore genomic science and its relationship with people and the world around us.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.