24th Feb 2022
Join us – Senior Social Scientist
Salary per annum: in the region of £46,119 to £55,900
Full Time/Flexible working considered.
Closing date: Monday 4th April
We have an exciting opportunity for an exceptional, experienced quantitative social scientist to join our team. You will play a key role in developing and co-ordinating quantitative and mixed-method social sciences research projects and evaluation work within the Engagement and Society programme of Wellcome Connecting Science.
About the role
You will work closely with the Associate Director of Engagement and Society, the Head of Research and Dialogue and other members of the Engagement and Society team. Together, we aim to build a world-leading social science research programme that explores the relationship between genomic science and society and, through the development of validated measures and evaluation metrics, assesses how engagement activities can shape this relationship.
You will lead on the design, management, analysis and dissemination of innovative and impactful quantitative research activities.
You will be experienced in leading the development of survey instruments and validated psychometric measures, and competent in a range of statistical methods.
As a senior researcher, you will contribute expertise and advice to other members of the team developing quantitative or mixed-methods research and develop collaborative projects with colleagues on the Wellcome Genome Campus and at the University of Cambridge.
You will have the opportunity to supervise postgraduate students and take on line management roles in the future.
You should have substantial experience of independent postdoctoral research in an area related to the public understanding of science or genomics, a track record of delivering high quality research projects with academic and wider impact, an openness to trying new approaches and a collaborative outlook.
- PhD in psychology/sociology/public understanding of science
- Significant experience with quantitative research methods and data analysis, including psychometric testing and validated measure creation
- Experience of initiating and carrying out independent social science research
- Record of publications in high quality journals
- Track record in delivering complex projects on time and on budget
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of dealing with people at all levels successfully
- Work independently
- High level of influencing and negotiating skills
- Ability to see the ‘bigger picture’, good strategic vision
- Ability to provide academic leadership
- Experience of teaching postgraduate and undergraduate students in the social or natural sciences, nursing or medicine on the impact of genomics on society
For an informal chat about the role please contact Dr Richard Milne email@example.com
For the interview you will be asked to deliver a 10 minute presentation on the steps you could take to create a psychometrically validated measure of ‘public engagement with genetics’, together with a lay interpretation of the statistics needed to demonstrate validity.
About Wellcome Connecting Science Engagement and Society
Society and Ethics Research is part of the wider Engagement and Society programme of Wellcome Connecting Science. We develop innovative empirical social science research on the social and ethical questions associated with developments in genomics and biodata, with questions of inclusion, equality and social justice at the centre of our work. As part of Wellcome Connecting Science, we work with a unique range of companion teams with diverse expertise in research in the social and life sciences, public engagement, education and learning.
The Wellcome Genome Campus is set over 125 acres and is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of genomes and biodata. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges. It is home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, including the Wellcome Sanger Institute which is the largest organisation on Campus, the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), Open Targets and Genomics England.
About Connecting Science
Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science’s mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society. We connect researchers, health professionals and the wider public, creating opportunities and spaces to explore genomic science and its impact on people. Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation, supports learning and measures attitudes, drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Wellcome Genome Campus.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.